The Reid House — 1325-1327 Peachtree Street — is one of the most beautiful buildings in Midtown, and one of the finest examples of pre-WW II neo-classical architecture in the city, according to Sonny Jones of Dorsey Alston.
Similar in style to apartment and condo buildings in historic areas of Manhattan, the ten-story building, which was called Garrison Apartments when it opened in 1924, has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1979.
Today, it is known as the Reid House. It was long thought to be the work of famed architect Neel Reid. In fact, the building was designed by Philip T. Shutze when he was a partner at Hentz, Reid and Adler, which became Hentz, Adler & Shutze following Reid’s death in 1926. The 1974 renovation of the building into condominium units was handled by architect Eugene I. Lowry.
Jones has become a bit of an expert on the building. He currently has two listings and has represented 10 buyers and sellers over the last two years. Through these experiences, he has developed an intimate knowledge of the historic property, which he has long admired.
It is ideally located on the edge of Ansley Park, across from the Woodruff Arts Center and High Museum of Art. The Reid House is within easy walking distance from Piedmont Park, Atlanta Botanical Gardens, MARTA Arts Center Station and all the dining and entertainment options Midtown has on offer. Even though it’s on Peachtree in a fairly busy area, the building sits far back from the street, which means the interior space remains quiet.
While it looks like one building, there are two separate entrances, which are not connected except through a hallway in the basement. The floorplans, which run from front-to-back, ensure that each unit shares an elevator with only one other unit and that units sitting across from each other share one small common wall.
Some units have Gascone window treatment, some have gas fireplaces. Most have leaded window frames and intricately crafted spider-veined windows over the front door. A select few units on the back side of the building have a room with sliding glass doors on three sides, creating a solarium. The interiors have beautiful trim and wainscoting.
Some units have built-in bookshelves and multiple closets. All have updated kitchens and modern appliances. Some condos have a storage unit and at least one parking space; a few have two.
The units are water-heated and -cooled. Each has two entrances with a back door in the kitchen, which leads to a staircase. The building also has a fitness center, recently remodeled clubroom with sunken bar, and tennis courts on top of the parking garage.
The building and grounds are meticulously maintained. A few years ago, when the original glass elevator signs started showing their age, they were sent off to a specialty company for full restoration.